Monday, March 13, 2006

To TVMalai

Early morning on Saturday, I headed out to Thiruvannamalai (TVMalai). In a PP bus for just Rs.55 one way!

This was my first trip alone to TVMalai.

It rained and drizzled all the way. I reached at 11.30am and took a rickshaw straight from the bus-stand to Guru’s temple. I was there just in time for the last aarti before he closed the nada.

It felt really good meeting him after such a long time. He had not changed a bit. He had slimmed down a bit… and I missed his long hair!

The innocent, charming smile, the happy-to-see-you look was there as usual.

I told him about all the recent developments (how she left me… how she told me that she can be my teacher and me her student; the idea of redefining the relationship… etc. etc.)

He laughed at that! He was shocked. He said, “I knew you both were in love, but I never disclosed that I knew it!” We smiled. We communicated in broken Tamil, English, Malayalam, a bit of body and sign language too! It was awesome communicating like that… and we understood each other so clearly…

Then, we had lunch together.

We talked and lot of truths came to light. He said that at 32 (NOT 45) I’ll attain something… that will bring me fame and wealth and stuff like that. He said I’ll attain new levels of spirituality and meditation… but said that I’ll never become a sanyasi, as I did not have that yogam.

I specifically asked him whether it is 45 or 32… and he said 32! I asked will I have a so called affinity towards women till the age of 45, and he said, “no nothing like that!”

I realized that I had been misinformed earlier.

I asked him about the rituals I have to perform at Tiruchendur to remove the sarpa dosham. I noted the tasks in the order to be performed.

Then, I asked him to check my horoscope with respect to Leena’s horoscope, the woman who loves me (in spite of me being me). He did all the calculations… it turned out fine. “All 12 planets match,” he said!

He said, “I have just three years more; 2009 death. Then, I will take rebirth!” I was stunned. Something hit me. He continued, “I received signal from my guru… before that I have to conduct satsangs…”

We agreed, “Tatasthu! May the will of God prevail.”

Then, he asked me about Leena. Our story.

I told him:
“Leena waited for me because she knew that I’ll come back to her. Love, like God, works in strange ways… I don’t know whether I deserve her.

I went back to her not because I was afraid to start my life afresh but because I feel that everything happens for a reason. I crushed my ego and asked her whether she still loves me… and she said, “Come back to me.”

That was the most magnanimous gesture I have ever experienced in life and I could not say no. I knew I had to answer a lot of people and many would never understand… (because they have never been where you have been).”

He understood in his own silent way.

He talked to Leena over the phone and cleared all her hypothetical doubts and queries. They bonded over the phone, and he invited her to come and meet him personally. Such a nice man… he treats all equally.

He shares all his knowledge to all who seek. He was about to make Sri Chakra yantra for a person who had come to meet him. That guy belonged to his native place, Srirangam! He was staying in TVMalai for the past eight months and met him only on Saturday! Strange are the ways that God weaves his magic!

While my guru was busy with the horoscope calculations… he introduced me to Thyagu… Thyagu had worked as an officer with HSBC in Malaysia. He left everything and came to India seeking spirituality, peace, and oneness with nature.

Thyagu and I talked on world economics (I did not know I could talk about economics till then!), and nature, and philosophy. He asked me a queer question, “Do I look like a sadhu to you?” I did not answer.

Thyagu showed me a poem he had translated from my guru’s works:

Shiva is the divine father,
Devi is the divine mother,
Adi Shankara is the divine teacher,
And you and I are the divine child.


Wow!

I left feeling happy, relieved, and peaceful. My guru once cleared my doubts for me. He showed me the path and the truth. Oh, I was such a fool!

Anyways, like a zen master once said: “To be what you are, you sometimes have to be what you are not.”

I am sorry because in that process I hurt you, baby. And I feel so foolish… that I will never be able to forgive myself.

Before parting, I said, “Life is our only teacher!” “Avaladaan” he exclaimed!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprised to see your faith in gurus, horoscopes and their influence in your life. Can't you take decision on your own life?

abhilash warrier said...

Dear anonymous,

Faith comes in ways we do not see. Sometimes with reason; sometimes without reason.

Life is an interplay between fate and destiny... So I do take my decisions... but sometimes, life teaches me somethings without me planning to learn it.

I too, like you, was surprised about the change in me... but now i have accepted the change...

why are you hiding behind that anonymous veil?

Aswin Kini said...

Hi abhilash, its fascinating to read your articles on Tiruvannamalai. It would be better if you could elaborate on some of your other experinces also. And also i would like to know more about your guru. It seems that you are one among the few to interact with a real sadhu.

Aswin Kini said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aswin Kini said...

Hi abhilash, its fascinating to read your articles on Tiruvannamalai. It would be better if you could elaborate on some of your other experinces also. And also i would like to know more about your guru. It seems that you are one among the few to interact with a real sadhu.

Aswin Kini said...

Hello mr Anonymous, i have beeen reading this blog for quite sometime. I am suprised to see that you are constantly criticising the writer personally. Well, i can see no harm in a person believing in Horscopes and gurus,as long as it is not overdone. SO please stop criticising and start commenting properly. Its time that you mended your ways.

abhilash warrier said...

Dear Aswin,

Thanks for writing in. TVmalai has been the only place where I feel at home away from home...

I will write more... there is a lot to write... and lot more to say.

Don't worry about Anon... We all need to speak out. The world is better that way.

Anonymous said...

hey abhilash

you are gifted with the art of writing, you write well, you have had ups and downs, met people who liked you/disliked you, found a guru - good for you, but somewhere in all that you write, theres so much of the past that you are hanging on to, let go of it, you will feel much better.

stop hating people/places/other things that have made u feel bad in the past, you will feel superior to them this way.

this is my understanding, correct me if i am wrong.

take care peace be with you

Anonymous said...

Even I have been left wondering with our gurus' vision and insight into future happenings. I have also been criticised for taking them seriously. But I feel our doubts about a guru should linger only till we find one. Once found, where is the need to doubt?

Aswin Kini said...

Hey mr ANonymous, thnk you wanna criticise some bopdy, Then please do vist my blog http://www.genieoflife.blogspot.com
You can find some good flaws in my blog and you can give your PRECIOUS COMMENTS n my blog instead opf spoiling a good writer like abhilash
Honestly, i feel that you should reveal your name and critiise more openly.

Kavitha Kalyan said...

Hi Abhilash,

You seem very enlightened. Am very happy for you. So how do you define your new found faith?

regds
Kavitha

Anonymous said...

enlightment.growth.realisation.meaning.truth.reason.choices.life.death

what you have done in the past will always determine how your future will be, everything else in between will only help in preparing for the future or pushing the inevitable.

all the best for whtever happens to you in the future, but remember that you have left a lot of unanswered questions, they will all return, you will have to answer, so many of them are there and so am i

abhilash warrier said...

Dear Pastmaster,

thanks for the suggestion. however, I love looking back at my past. Cherish those memories, good and bad.

In a way, yes, I am holding on to a lot in my past. A time will come when I would let go of all my memories too... and really live each day as it comes.

Dear Revathi,
Truly said. Very true indeed. I liked your question in the comment.

Dear Aswin,
Stop reacting to Anonymous' comments. Let Anon write... This is a free country.

Dear Mumbai_chennai_dubai_mumbai,
That comment looks like I have wronged you in a bad way... I do not know who you are... but whoever you are... I am sorry.

I know, I have been cruel in my past. Cruel, heartless, and thoughtless.

If God wants me to pay for my wrongs in this lifetime, then so be it.

One last thing: please comment on the posts, not on the blogger or other commentators. This is a sincere request.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on marrying the love of your life. wish you all the best for the future. Keep writing bye

Anonymous said...

whats with the silence, repenting are you, you will never be able to feel tha tpain you have given others, and by doing what you are now, you cannot escape the repurcussions of what you did.

you are not capable of feeling bad for what you did, so stop trying and be the one you already are, dont try to be superficial like this.

Anonymous said...

please Abhilash, let us see a new post. i am tired of checking and finding just this last post of yours.

cheers,

vandana

ps: hi to Leena.

viswanath.vandana said...

please Abhilash, let us see a new post. i am tired of checking and finding just this last post of yours.

cheers,

vandana

ps: hi to Leena.

viswanath.vandana said...

please Abhilash, let us see a new post. i am tired of checking and finding just this last post of yours.

cheers,

vandana

ps: hi to Leena.

Anonymous said...

Love of your life? not sure about that one. It looked more like a "to do " list.