Friday, July 20, 2007

Childhood memories - 2

Citizen Kane – one of the best movies ever made…

Ranjit and his brother have just got a new tricycle… one with bells and good cushion seats. My brother in the back seat of our sad, old tricycle looks at me with “why don’t we have such a cycle” look?

We ask our mother, and she tells us never to sit on their cycle and never to ask for a new one. Miserable, we watch them pedal happily across the common verandah and ringing the cycle bell only when they reach near our door!

We race every evening on the verandah and most of the times, the new tricycle wins because of its smooth rubber wheels. My brother and I resign to our
khatara metal junk.

Then, that very summer vacation, just when we had gotten over the tricycle trauma, their uncle came from the ‘gelf’ with a wonderful, yellow toy helicopter, walking penguins, racing cars, and lots of other goodies…

Among them, my eyes fell on a metallic model toy train. Complete with tracks, signals, tunnels, and railway stations. My first lust...


I don’t know about my brother; I still wait for my rosebud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes... those were some nice ones Abhi Etta... In fact on Sunday night I too was thinking of writing about childhood.. Shucks... Now I am thinking why i did not write it... exactly... right from how you used take me double seat on the tricycle to going to school to the ned of childhood... I will be writing thay soon...

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your new rosebud is coming your way soon...you never know !

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your new rosebud is coming your ways soon, you never know!