Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Childhood memories - 1

I am not feeling well... and besides, many of you wanted me to write again. So here goes...

This blog may be taking an inward turn here onwards. A journey, which you may want to read at your own risk because in my childhood you may come across yours.

Parts of me died: a child died; parts that may never be reborn. Why did the child inside me die?

Let me go in to some memories that I still have of that glorious period:

It's 5pm on a random evening at Master building, our chawl. The primary roots of the tree of life.

On the wall-less terrace, all my neighbours’ kids and my brother are waiting for Soni chechi to return from school. She has afternoon school; you know, she is in 5th grade!

We did this everyday. Most of the days, she came on time. Some days, she came later than usual.

She is the pack leader and the alpha female! We never play anything till she arrives. It was she who decides which game we play, who tells stories first when there is a power breakdown, who is in which team… and who gets what punishment for cheating… she even decides ‘time please’ for all of us!

We play till the sun set. Some days, while waiting for her, I watch the sun set from my knees to my feet.

When she is late, I cry… few others cry too.

We shifted from Master building when I was in third grade, which means this memory is old. And, I have never met Soni chechi again. I do not think I will recognize her if I ever see her again…

But why do I still remember those evenings:

Some random memories, like random dreams, arrive randomly. But few, like recurring dreams, recur randomly.

1 comment:

Aswin Kini said...

It's great to see ya blogging after a long time. Well, this post was quite beautifully written. It's unfortunate that god never gave us a chance to relive our lives. If so, this world would be one happy place.