Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Vasai, my home

Time is ephemeral. Rather it shows the true nature of all around us as being ephemeral.

Recently, we drove down to Vasai all the way from Bangalore. The road has changed for the better. 14-hour drive.

I have met many good and noble people in my life. Bhadra Aunty and family and Sapna Chechi and family are among the best. They are the kind of people who make you feel wanted. Cared for. They make you miss places, memories, events, and shared incidents of joy. They've always been there for you. For us. They're the epitome of being well-wishers.

They make you human. 

The kids have now all grown-up and how! They sing, they travel and they are certainly going places! I love how Praveen and Sonu and Meenu have shaped up. I mean, just the other day, they were two-year-old kids who you took out for walks and played with... 

Tears welled up in my eyes when I heard Meenu play the tanpura and sing. It was a truly meditative experience. I shared with her Jaggi Vasudev's video wherein he converses with Pandit Jasraj.

Tears welled up when I had three vada pavs from Amrut Ganga; the taste has not changed even after so many years. The young man at the counter has changed; he is the grandson of the man who established the shop. His father still comes in and helps him once in a while.

Sonu has become a tomboy but one who is a pakka Bombay girl. Tears welled up in my eyes when she cooked great pav bhaji for us! When she insisted, in her own sweet way, that I should not go to Pune. 

I could not go. The rain gods and Gods were against it.

I have decided to visit Vasai as many times as possible. To keep going back there to know that this too shall pass. That this is where home will always be; where life will welcome me even though I am a black sheep. 

Because Vasai is where they truly love me. In spite of me.

3 comments:

Gops said...

lovely!

Sri said...

Heartfelt! Down below, somewhere in the corners of Chennai, there are two souls who too accept you the way you are though they tend to share comments and suggestions from time to time ;) Be happy man, rest all will be taken care of.

abhilash warrier said...

Hey Sri and Gops, you are the good and noble beings among whom I have counted them too! :-) I know folks that you are always there. My family. :-)