Monday, June 06, 2005

The most important decision I made…

The most important decision I made… I asked this question to many people. They had pretty good answers.

  • Watching Casablanca with her.
  • Watching Godfather.
  • Reading.
  • Reading Kafka.
  • Going back to my native place.
  • Quitting my first job.
  • Leaving my first boyfriend.
  • My first kiss decided my life.
  • My first intercourse.
  • My visit to the Pyramids, Egypt.
  • My first train journey for my first interview.
  • Believing in God.
  • Saving a boy’s life while he was drowning.
  • Losing my faith.
  • Losing my virginity.
  • Reading Karl Marx.
  • My first enlightenment.
  • Coming to India.
  • Getting into Buddhism.
  • Taking care of my grandparents.
  • Reading Ayn Rand.
  • Getting a dog for myself.
  • A walk in the rain.
  • Playing for my country for the first time.
  • Playing cricket.
  • Marrying the man I loved.
  • Saying no to my boss.
  • Watching Schindler’s List.
  • Saying yes to my boss.
  • Reading poetry.
  • The university I got into.
  • Getting out of my goddamn village.
  • My first divorce.
  • My second divorce.
  • Telling my boss what I thought about him.
  • Fighting for the environment.
  • My first exhibition.
  • Proposing love to her.
  • The first signature campaign I conducted.
  • Joining the army.
  • Writing poetry.
  • Escaping from the USSR.
  • The school I joined.
  • Every time I vote.
  • Selling my first painting.
  • My first walk though I don’t remember it.
  • My national anthem.
  • My last confession.
  • My first visit to a temple.
  • Deciding to live as a writer; my marriage, both decisions very early in life.
  • My confession to my best friend.
  • At 90, a man said, “the woman who I married.”

1 comment:

Shanti said...

In certain times or stages in life, we have to make pertinent decisions that can alter our paths in life, either to or away from the goal.

Everyone would have their reasons then for the decisions they have made. Strange thing is, at that moment in time, everything seems right. It is always after some time has passed, when the after effect is seen or felt, then we start reflecting whether it was the right decision.

Thus, for many, we will know whether it was the right decision or not, years down the road. Whereas for others, it maybe just accepting the decision they have made and living it. There maybe others, who may alter the decision they have made to suit the present needs.

In the end, whatever the decision may be, one has to face the consequence.

That is life ==> we sow what we reap.