Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Another Malayalee in Gelf!

It’s been a week since I landed here. But to start with my bags did not arrive with me! Thai Airways just did not load my bags.

A friend went to Chennai airport and did the needful. And my bags (containing all the documents that prove that I am an educated man) landed here on last Saturday.

Phew! Meanwhile, here, my company had arranged for accommodation at Flat 201, Al Attar Shopping Mall, Near Karama Centre, Al Karama.

This is a spacious 3-bedroom kitchen flat. Shared by 15 people. Yes, you read it right: 15 people.

This kind of accommodation is called “Bedspace” here. And this costs Dhs. 750 per month. Not bad actually. You have TVs in every room, a cupboard and a bed for yourself, a common washing machine, and a common fridge.

Every morning, life begins with queues outside the two lavish bathrooms. There are bathtubs, but I hardly get the time or luxury to just sink in it. You don’t need geysers here. Just open the tap anytime night or day and you get running hot water! So I have a steam bath everyday.

In a way, it is dormitory/ hostel and chawl lifestyle!

Al Attar is famous for two things:
Filipinos… and there are loads of them.
Cockroaches… legacy left behind by various nationalities!

The cockroaches here are small, slow, and lazy. But not the Filipinos. They are fair, short, loud, and mostly ugly. They eat anything, from rats to dogs to the like. I mean what more can a man eat!

The bed opposite mine is shared by a human cockroach. We all call him garbage. That man is most unclean man I have ever seen (He tucks his shirt inside his underwear!) Yuck! He eats, dries his clothes, sits, sleeps on that one bed…! Yurgh!

Most Filipinos are into prostitution here. Or if not, they are working as counter staff, salesgirls in the innumerable supermarkets and shops.

Most men here talk only sex or women. I guess, the first time they see Russians, Moroccans, Lebanese, etc., it must be something. And yes, some women are really, really hot… as my friend Sachin says, “Dudh se nahati hain kya?”

The organization I work at here is awesome. Simply awesome. They
really, really know how to treat employees.
care.
help.
believe.
don’t lie.
don’t threaten or blackmail or harass you.

This blog is a toast to my new life (and all my dreams, hopes, and aspirations associated with it).

So people, one more Malayalee has landed in the Gelf. In this desert. To make money. Save money. Finish off his house loan. Settle in life.

To go back to India. My love. My life.

5 comments:

Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...

I never saw this coming... Have a great time too.. and I could but help not remember ur saying to my blog sometime back..

Home is where the heart is..

Cheers
Ranga

Kavitha Kalyan said...

interesting! harassment? and blackmail? ok... i hope you have a great time with your current workplace.

and ladies, the man just gave you his address! in case you want to make it to his place. hahaha.

meanwhile have fun!

abhilash warrier said...

Ranga,

Even I never saw this coming. In fact, I learned a lot about how bad people can get during my short six-month stay in Chennai.

To what extent can people fall because they have to keep their jobs. I have become totally disillusioned by the HRD (Human Resource Development).

Anyways, all for the best.

abhilash warrier said...

Kavi,

Yes, harrassment, blackmail, and psychological torture too over the phone.

The current workplace is light years ahead of my last workplace. Very ethical people. Very supportive and understanding. And no lies or rumors here.

HR really develops employees here. I could not have asked for a better place.

Well, hardly anybody knows me here. So no point in giving my address... anyways:
"Al Attar shopping mall, itself, is a landmark!"

hahahahahahah! Hope you got it?
;-)

Feeling very lonely here. Very homesick.

Kavitha Kalyan said...

hahaha... you bet your ass i got that one!!!

i dont know whats keeping me here, just waiting for the next "tidel" wave to hit.