Thursday, February 18, 2010

Office conversation (pretty close but not verbatim)

C comes to C’s friends’ bay at 9:30 in the morning. They usually have breakfast together at Anna’s Cafeteria. C is really hungry. She has already expressed her hunger. Meanwhile, C’s friend gets interested in her jazzy pink specs.

C’s Friend (holding C’s spectacles in hand and examining them): “Hey, what’s the power in these? Must be between -1 and -2.”

C: “Yeah, -1.25 hain.”

C’s Friend: “Ok. Why don’t you go in for laser vision correction. I had -8 power; I underwent the treatment back in ’97. It’s safe and it’s worth it. The treatment gives you freedom. No more lenses and specs…”

C: “I am OK with specs. Some people have issues maintaining specs and looking good and all. I have no issues.”

C’s Friend: “I underwent the treatment because that time I had been caught by the navy bug. I wanted to become a sailor. I had taken the written exams and physical test at INS Hamla; cleared both rounds and was awaiting medical test dates. So I had to get the correction done prior to the medical test.

My vision correction was a gift from my grandfather. He was a navyman, naa. It was his last everlasting gift for me.

He passed away in ’98.”

By the time I underwent the laser correction, I had to choose between literature and travelling. I had to choose: become a sailor or become a poet… And I chose the latter.”

C (nonchalantly turning to A, who’s been busy at her work all through this conversation): “Hey, chalna breakfast ke liye. Mujhe bahut bhook lagi hain!

1 comment:

Abhinesh Warrier said...

I have been there... You express something which is close to you and important... But others do not pay any heed/attention.. and u r left with urself again...