Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The God-child arriveth...

Today too, on the third consecutive day, Chennai is facing heavy rains. The people here love it every bit. Seems like it has never rained here in April. The roads are choc-a-bloc with traffic… the traffic lights are off. And the traffic policemen are out in their traditional yellow raincoats directing traffic through waterlogged roads…

The scene, this morning, reminded me of Mumbai during the monsoons. Mumbai took a lot before water logged on the roads; Chennai floods with even moderate rains.

Yesternight, I realized what Sheldon B Kopp was saying in If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him, when he wrote, “There are no great people. I am just another struggling human being.”

I see you, Koochie pie. I see me. I realized yesternight while you were talking to me what I had understood earlier. I see Ray Charles. I see how our childhoods impact who we are and what we choose to become.

We are the way we respond to life. Each of us have a different childhood even when we are born into the same household, have the same set of friends, go to the same school, and have the same people as cousins.

How lack of attention and parental neglect affect us. How too much of attention make us weak. How life challenges few blessed ones among us to come up the hard way. How we then cope with life ahead. Because the way we respond to stimuli determines who we are.

I tell you about Vidyuth. We name the unnamed joy we bring into ourselves. You love it. For you’ve been secretly dreaming. And I caught you yesternight. I love it.

For nine months, you will be the queen, if you already don’t feel like one! Vidyuth will be the prince. And I’ll be your genie!

I’ll not let your feet touch the ground. You’ll float. I’ll carry you around. I’ll massage your feet. I’ll feed you every night and day. I’ll clean the house and wash the clothes and cook too!

Koochie pie, nine months will be like a deep breath.

And then, the blessed one will arrive. Will lead the sheep to shelter. Will heal the sick. Our child will be a God-child just like my Koochie-pie.


No comments: