Tuesday, April 05, 2005

This is a poem I had written to Ani, my brother, on his 22nd birthday... he's grown up and I am proud of him.

I had forgotten all about this poem... till yesterday when Sis, the love of his life, reminded me of the poem in her e-mail to me...

And, I had to get the poem from her to post it here. So Ani, here you go again... i will recite the same poem on every birthday of yours:

**************************************

We have come a long, long way, brother.
You and I.

From the times that you held my hand
And we went to play.

To school through those fields...
Remember Mugran?

I still remember you bowling like Qadir
And then like Small.

All those smart, witty one-liners of yours.

That sitting on the stairs at Jiten saying,
"I'll leave home only in the morning!"

You were there when I was in love for the first of times.

I was there when you rushed from the rick and hugged Reshma!

I was there when you fell in love again and again.

You were there always when I led the way.
Then, you led the way.

I was there when you took your first step (don't remember it though!).
I was there when you loved Vijeta
(While I looked at her ass, her lovely shapely ass).

I was there when you had lunch with Raji.
And when she turned to me and said,
“I feel conscious because of your eyes" you were there.

We were together when you did us proud;
While I humiliated our parents.

When we went double-seat to as far as the cycle would take us.
I was there when you loved cricket more than anything else.

I was there when you fractured your finger.

When I took that impossible catch... you were there!

I still remember our nights together
At Gopinaaaaathan's... and Chakram's houses!!
Drinking 1.5 ltr Pepsi each...
And loving it!

Watching blue movies and shagging one after the other!!!
Hahahaha!!

Walking to Omena chechi's home to sleep with her (literally)!
Getting bored at Vile Parle
Watching Mani drink milk!!!
(Man, how much we wished for her to drink that bloody glass of milk!!!)

I still cherish you talking tough to the sunkey Vice Princey!!
Remember you reading Ayn Rand for the first time.

From then to now...
You with Sis...
You. Everywhere.

Every moment, I lived with you.

I know you and I understand you as I try.
Because you always did the same.

You were my only advocate. My Man Friday.

I love to be with Ani, the warrior, the hero, the self-talker,
The actor, the brother, the great teacher, the musician,
The cine-lover, the movie reviewer, the listener,
The greatest of lovers...

And now... more than ever before,
Ani, the poet… growing… and more...

I don't pray for us to be together.

But this much I ask for:
”May you always have Sis by your side.”
For I know what she means to you.

It's been my pleasure, Sir.
And an honor worth living and dying for.

It is an honor to be your brother.

And an honor to have been there and done that.
With you always by my side.

*********************************************

Love you always and all the ways,
abhi


4 comments:

Kavitha Kalyan said...

touching...very touching. have not seen brothers like this... wish i had one...:)
largely lived a life alone...been a loner...a bro would have helped...

abhilash warrier said...

Kavi, you have a bro now.

So I hope that it makes up for the years you missed a bro. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes I am there... With you both always and all the ways, Ani.

Anonymous said...

I have a brother. Only wish he could write such evocative poetry about us!! Your poem gave me goose pimples.